mardi 3 juillet 2012

Simple

When it comes to style, I'm torn between a quest for quiet elegance and the sometimes desire for more adventurous looks but what remains at heart is my eternal love of simplicity. I'd feel disguised, a pretender, either putting too much on (ostentatious clothes, make-up etc.) or on the contrary, utterly uncomfortable, leaving too little to the imagination. So my year round style mantra is: nothing complicated.

But usually, and I checked past years looks for confirmation, summer is the season when I'm more colorful, letting my inner boho self resurface, having fun with patterns, prints, colors. Never in a wild combination because that's truly not "me" but relying on said elements for a bit of twist, here and there.

Well, it seems times are a-changing. During the rare real summer days we've had so far, I've favored an overall clean, streamlined silhouette, just like on the outfit pictured bellow: grey loose tee, draped pencil skirt and flats.

My printed, brightly colored, flowy clothes are in plain sight in my closet and I still like them but this indifference I feel towards them feels like a change of heart, maybe only temporary? Or maybe, I'm finally on a coherent style path no matter the season. We'll see...


 t-shirt: H&M - jupe/skirt: New Look - sandales/sandals: Isabel Marant - sac/bag: Balenciaga City - kaki scarf on bag /écharpe kaki sur le sac: Zara

En matière de style, je suis tiraillée entre la quête d'une élégance tranquille et l'occasionnel désir de tenues plus aventureuses mais ce qui demeure au fond c'est mon amour éternel de la simplicité. Je me sentirai déguisée soit accumulant trop (de vêtements ostentatoires, de maquillage etc.) ou au contraire inconfortable en laissant trop peu à l'imagination. Donc mon mantra quotidien est: rien de compliqué.

Mais d'habitude, et j'ai vérifié les photos de mes tenues des années passées pour confirmation, l'été j'ai tendance à me lâcher, laissant mon esprit bohème refaire surface à coup d'imprimés, de couleurs et autres froufrous. Jamais en total look parce que ce n'est pas du tout "moi" mais en utilisant ces-dits éléments pour apporter une petite touche d'originalité et de personnalité ici et là.

Et bien, les temps changent. Pendant les rares journées de réel été que nous avons eues jusqu'à présent, j'ai favorisé des tenues dans l'ensemble très minimales et épurées, comme sur la tenue en photo: t-shirt gris, jupe droite drapée et sandales plates.

Mes imprimés et autres vêtements aux couleurs vives sont en pleine vue dans mon armoire et je les apprécie toujours mais mon indifférence à leur égard prend l'air d'un revirement, simplement temporaire? Ou peut-être ai-je finalement trouvé un style qui me convient et qui reste cohérent quelle que soit la saison. On verra bien... 

17 commentaires:

  1. Oh I hear you... sometimes I wish I were a bit more adventurous fashion-wise, but it's just not me. I like it simple, uncomplicated. Maybe I'll add just a tiny little quirky detail to the overall outfit (that possibly only a couple of people will notice...), but that's all.
    Love your skirt, by the way :) xx

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Right!? Especially when I look at stylish bloggers, I feel so boring! Haha! But what matters is to be comfortable and confident in what we wear.
      Thanks about the skirt. Like most mass-market store, it's a nightmare to shop at New Look, regarding the crowd, noise, loud music and the mostly cheap items but sometimes, I'm very "proud" to find treasures.

      Supprimer
  2. I've also been dressing really simply this summer! It's refreshing...I love your look.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks! You're right! I also find that this approach is more relaxing. The feeling is similar to when I declutter my home, it just rests the mind and the eyes.

      Supprimer
  3. Your outfit here is exactly what I've been wearing almost every day to the office. It's been so hot here, simple cotton basics are the most comfortable while still being appropriate.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. I agree. Summer wear at the office is really back to basics. Places and public transportations with A/C in Paris are very rare so when it's very hot like it was today, wearing anything too overwhelming feels exhausting.

      Supprimer
  4. Some seasons I wear simple/basic accessories and have color/interest in clothing. Some seasons I fall for a really interesting accessory which lends to being paired with simple clothing. Whichever direction I go, I never want to attract too much attention. Focus is on either a piece of clothing or an accessory. Are you still wearing your red bag? Maybe you are toning down everything else because of that? Just a thought.
    -Missone

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks for your input! I absolutely share your way of thinking. I genuinely like to dress but I'm also not big on drawing (unwanted) attention. Putting on an outfit is really about balance and comfort. I'm actually all over again a raffia bag nowadays because even wearing my red bag makes me feel too hot during the current heat wave!

      Supprimer
  5. Thanks! I think it actually requires more "thought" to keep an outfit simple and interesting. No ? I don't know but the "look at me" outfits seem somehow easier to achieve...
    Haha! Adios! Yeah, there are a few times, I should have listened to my guts instead of doing my fashionista!

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. you look fantastic and chic! love the draped skirt with your classic grey tee. it's very Sofia Coppola :) i'm on the hunt for a pair of wedge sandals - how do you like the IM sandals? is the wedge comfortable and does it run true to size?

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks very much! Ha, the reference to SC, one of my favorite stylish person, made my day! ;))
      My IM sandals are flat so I can't tell you about the wedges but usually I find that IM shoes run true to size. Never had to go bigger or smaller wether with her boots, sneakers or ballet flats. From what I heard the summer wedges are comfortable and I find them very cute but I never tried them on so I can't give more personal input.

      Supprimer
  7. I've been looking for another skirt. I only own one which is rather sad, really. I love the drape of yours and it just looks so simple yet chic when paired with a tee. Miss Sophie nailed the term correctly- very Sofia Coppola.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Oh hello! It may sound very ordinary to say but I'm such a fan of your blog so thanks for dropping by mine and leaving such a sweet comment!

      Supprimer
  8. J'aime ce genre de tenues basiques !

    RépondreSupprimer